I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Grant Thornton Scholar at Indiana University Bloomington. I received my Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. In general, my research interests are to discover and understand critical security issues in a large system through data-oriented security analysis, and then to design and develop innovative solutions to address these issues.
Recent Research Areas & Interests:
- Privacy compliance and enforcement: [Security'23-1], [Security'23-2], [SIGMETRICS'23],[Security'21-2]
- Secure machine learning systems: [S&P'24], [CCS'23-2],[CCS'21],[S&P'19-1]
- Cyber Threat intelligence, including threat intelligence gathering and analysis: [NDSS'24],[Security'21-1],[NDSS'20],[Security'18],[CCS'16]; dark web monitoring: [NDSS'24], [JMIR'21], [Security'18]; threat artifacts (a.k.a., cybercrime) on the Web [NDSS'22][NDSS'18][S&P'16][WWW'16][ACSAC'16], Mobile systems [S&P'22-2],[NDSS'21],[Security'19-1], Network systems [S&P19-2][S&P'17][CCS'16], DevOp platforms [S&P'22-1], and Ethereum [Security'21-1]
- NLP/ML-assisted vulnerability discovery [Security'22][CCS'20-3][CCS'20-2][CCS'20-1][Security'19-3][NDSS'19][CCS'17][CCS'15], assessment [Security'22][Security'19-2], and management [CCS'23-1]
Selected Awards and Honors:
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award
- ACM CCS Best Paper Award Runner-up
- Meta Privacy-enhancing Technology Research Award
- ISOC NDSS Distinguished Paper Award
- ACM SIGSAC Doctoral Dissertation Award, Runner-up
One RA position is available: I am seeking self-motivated students with strong interests in AI security and privacy, privacy compliance analysis, or system security. If interested, please email me your CV.
- (10/23/2023) Thrilled to announce that I was selected as a Luddy Faculty Fellow.
- (09/01/2023) I have taken the role of of General Co-Chair for ACM CCS 2024. Stay tuned for more information :)
- (08/24/2023) Lalaine has been selected for showcasing in the 2023 NSA CAE-R Research Symposium.
- (06/30/2023) The proposal "Towards Safeguarding the Emerging Miniapp Paradigm in Mobile Super Apps" was awarded by NSF. Thanks NSF!
- (03/31/2023) Thrilled to announce that I received the Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award for 2023.
- (01/13/2023) I will serve as ACSAC 2023 Artifacts Evaluation co-Chair. Please check out the Call for Paper Artifacts.